What is mold?
Mold is a type of fungus. Mold grows and thrives in moist and warm environments, and unlike plants, mold doesn’t need sunlight to grow. In the U.S., there are roughly 1,000 common mold species. You will most likely find mold in damp areas such as bathrooms, basements, and attics.
How does mold grow?
Mold needs water or a moisture source, oxygen, warmth, and a food source (any organic material). Mold loves humid, damp, warm locations.
Where is mold found?
A certain amount of mold is normal to find indoors and outdoors. Mold commonly grows in damp areas like crawl spaces, bathrooms, basements, and attics.
How do I mold-proof my home?
You cannot mold-proof your home. Unhealthy mold growth is reduced by regulating indoor humidity levels and dealing with any leaks or water damage.
What signs indicate mold is present in my home?
Your nose usually knows first because mold has a musty odor. You might also see stains on the ceilings or walls, even on the furniture. The stains might be black, green, purple, brown, or white.
What are the common health symptoms related to mold exposure?
Mold affects everyone differently and is especially dangerous for senior citizens, young children, and those with weekend immune symptoms. Typically, those exposed to mold will experience a runny nose, itchy eyes, scratchy throat, fatigue, congestion, and headaches, to name a few.
How does mold exposure occur?
Mold exposure happens when you inhale the spores, touch them directly, or accidentally ingest the mold. Some molds produce mycotoxins which are extremely toxic to humans. Mycotoxins enter the body via inhalation, through the eyes, or ingestion. Unfortunately, if mold remediation is not thorough, then mycotoxins remain even after the mold is gone.
Does my homeowners insurance policy cover mold damage?
It depends on the carrier and the individual policy. Each police is different so it’s important to check with your carrier and review your policy to determine your coverage.
Can your air duct system be contaminated with mold?
Mold spores can spread throughout your home via the air ducts. If you have a strong suspicion that mold is present or you have verified the presence of mold, it’s wise to turn off the HVAC system until after inspection.